August 1, 2013
The 23rd Annual Rentiesville Dusk til Dawn Blues Festival will happen Friday, Saturday, Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, August 30 through September 1st, from 5 pm -5 am. Created by D.C. Minner himself with, and now presented by, Selby Minner and the Friends of Rentiesville Blues Inc., the old cotton field out back will ring with the blues! Tickets are $15 day at the gate and kids are free. Last year’s Saturday night attendance at the Rentiesville Blues Festival broke all records… All down under the tent, on both sides in lawn chairs and down front around the dance floor!
The festival features down home blues, Oklahoma style - 200 musicians; 30 bands on 3 stages; a showcase of regional OK blues and four international headliners.. Mark your calendar for Labor Day Weekend; come to the longest running big blues fest in Oklahoma.
- Lil’ Ed & The Blues Imperials – from Chicago, the same musicians for 20 years, Lil’ Ed is the party man with great slide guitar! This band won Band of the Year Blues Music Award from the Memphis Blues Foundation –– they are a powerhouse of FUN!
- Watermelon Slim – originally from OK and now based in Canada, he’s an award winning, colorful blues-roots dobro lap-steel, guitar and harmonica player that brings you up close and personal with the blues… a true storyteller
- Andrew “Jr. Boy” Jones (TX) – a lifetime in the blues with a great new album and smooooth on the guitar!
- Tee Dee Young (Kentucky) – “Outstanding,” reports Cheryl Yearnshaw of the Blues Fest Guide
- Selby Minner and Blues on the Move – OK Slim, Homer Johnson, Cecil Gray, Electric Steve; and Selby, the lady who keeps this Festival alive
- Scott Ellison (OK) – talented singer/songwriter, guitarist and blues-rocker from Tulsa
- Bonnie McCoy – the niece of the late great Memphis Minnie. . grew up with Big Joe Williams
- Fillmore Slim (CA) guitarist, singer/songwriter of film fame, in from Berkeley CA
- Miss Blues – ‘picked to click’ on BB King’s Bluesville, the real deal, say no more! FUN! OBHOF
- Leon Rollerson (OK) – a legend from Tulsa brings a great revue OBHOF
- Jimmy “Preacher’” Ellis (TX) – up from Dallas, everyone loves Preacher OBHOF
- Berry Harris – from Stringtown OK and Wichita KS… a life in the blues OBHOF
- Prince Albert and the Royal Knights -- New Orleans showtime
Also on the bill are Debbie and Trish Henning (OKC), Harp Summit with Wes Reynolds, Sonny Hill and more, Mississippi Fever (St Louis), Blue Fire Foley (Stillwater, OK), Harley Cowboy Hamm (Checotah), Roger “Hurricane” Wilson (GA), Dues Paid (Bartlesville, OK), Chuck Blackwell and Okla Stew w Jr. Markham, Layce Baker and Black Diamond (CA/OK), Harry and Debbie Blackwell (CA), and spoken word poetry with Nancy Harris (OK Gov Arts Award winner) of the Echo Project.
Oklahoma Blues Hall of Famers (OBHOF) will grace the stage in abundance this year in Rentiesville. At least 10, including Jimmy “Preacher” Ellis (TX), Berry Harris (KS), Wes Reynolds, Harry Williams, Pure Silk, Scott Ellison, Baby Ray Mucker, Little Miss Peggy, Selby Minner, Jim Davis and Rt 66 Big Band, Miss Blues and Leon Rollerson,
Rentiesville is 15 miles S of Muskogee, 125 miles E of OKC, 4 Hours N of Dallas and 1 hour SE of Tulsa www.dcminnerblues.com firstname.lastname@example.org Info (918) 855-0978
The Kid’s Village (children under 12 are free and we keep them busy) will rock to the conga drums once again with Jahruba and his drum circles. Kid’s Village would not be complete without Joann McMillan and her stick puppets (which require lots of little hands to make them dance across the field) and Domenica Lovera will be back with crafts and face painting as well as Patrick Riley and his all-new mask making table!!!
The CHS Adult Jazz band Route 66 Big Band will come in courtesy of Jim Davis and there is a Gospel Show to start the Festivities on Sunday. The outdoor part is the most family friendly Blues festival you will find. But adults only in the juke joint, please. All the headliners from the main outdoor stage come inside after midnight and perform their second sets. That part of the show goes on until 5 am!
D.C. Minner (1935-2008, in 5 Halls of Fame) knew they were bulldozing old juke joints every day and has kept his family legacy alive here in Rentiesville, where he was born and raised, for people to enjoy from now on.
Known as: . . . “World’s best - and largest - back yard party!” . . . Such a variety of people – “This is peace as the world should know it!” A blues festival that is truly unique as it is a family event with lots for children to do – but not after midnight in the old Juke Joint – adults only, please!
“Hey Everybody, …Tell Everybody” that in Oklahoma, hidden out in the woods is a little old juke joint called the Down Home Blues Club, It’s authentic, funky, and very much alive. It’s been there since Oklahoma Bluesman D.C. Minner’s grandmother Lura opened up a bootleg corn whiskey bar in 1936. Now, however, the bootleg whiskey is gone. You can get a cold beer or a soda and sometimes people bring potluck, but it’s all about the music. The club hosts a free jam session party every Sunday, musicians show up with cases and the years roll back. Part of the magic is in the music played there, but the room itself has a grittiness and authenticity both palpable and intoxicating. It is rural and real in a sense that other venues fail to capture. For those who long to feel the power of the Blues, try Rentiesville!”
Major Sponsors: F.O. Rentiesville Blues Inc., The Oklahoma State Arts Council, Wear House 100;
PLATINUM level: Nichols Dollar Saver of Checotah, James Hodge Ford, A & B Distributors, Budweiser; GOLD level: Leon Rollerson Productions, Currentland, Darkwood Productions, What About Bob’s, Fenton, The Castle, Square Deal Music, Republic Guitars, Janiece Vest, State Farm Ins.; SILVER level: Janiece Vest, The Muskogee Daily Phoenix, State Farm Insurance, the Pulse Magazine, Sue’s Recycling, DDS Dental, The Bank of Eufaula; BRONZE level: Frame Lumber, Hoss Style Wheels – Checotah Quick Lube, Armstrong Bank, Peoples National Bank, Foresee Concrete, Buddy’s Convenience Store, Tedford Insurance, State Farm Incurance, J&J Liquors, Farmers, Gary Coleman.
– Domenica Lovera, founding board member F.O.R. Blues Inc.